Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Memories of Paris!

So recently I got my eat, pray, love on in Paris. I rented an apartment on Ile St Louis and went with one gastronomical mission.....to eat and drink the best there was!  That's right.... I stayed away from all museums, touristy sites, taxis, metros, men, and sadly shopping (I carried on my luggage so there wasn't any room, tear!).  But I did find some incredible places that you must go to when in the city of lights.  Below you will find my ultimate gastronomical itinerary:

Angelina - most famous hot chocolate in Paris right by the Tuileries.  I suggest having a glass of champy with it.  It's so thick, rich, and delicious that you will need to dilute it with hot water (which they serve on the side)

Cafe Ruc - great place by the Louvre for steak frites.  Used to go a lot when I lived there back in the day

Allard - restaurant in St Germain with incredible dover sole and escargots.  I don't even really like escargots but I licked my plate clean!

Auberge de la reine blanche - restaurant on Ile St Louis.  Very small and quaint but extremely busy.  Has been there since my mom first took me when I was 11 years old.  I recommend the dijon chicken and the orange duck. 

Bofinger - most famous brasserie for seafood and french onion soup close to the Marais district

Harrys Bar - great international bar with people from all walks of life.  Met some crazy characters here that had me out til 6 am!

Les Deux Magots - famous brasserie featured in "Midnight in Paris" where all the old literary icons would schmooze.  I recommend sitting outside and watching the craziness of St German des Pres

E. Dehillerin - not a restaurant but Julia Child's favorite kitchen supply store.  This place is insane!! The amount of whisks alone will make you cry

Au Pieds De Couchon - best/most famous French onion soup EVER!

Ritz Carlton Hemingway Bar - tiny little bar also known for their literary icons.  Get there right when they open at 630 to find a spot.  It fills up very quick.  You must have a seat at the bar to order.  If no seat is available, forget about ordering.  They will literally have security remove you.  Some of the best rose champagne in the world is served there.  They serve it with a huge red rose inside as well.  When it looks like that, who cares if you are paying $50 a glass :)

Ritz Carlton Bar Vendome - amazing place for afternoon tea and champagne

Le Bristol - on Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore, the best shopping street in Paris.  Beautiful hotel and fantasic bar for drinks.

La's du fallafel - most famous falafel in Paris (in the Marais District).  $6 for an entire meal.  Cant beat that!  Only thing annoying is their hours, I went to there 4 times until it was finally open

Le Maurice - gorgeous hotel owned by Dorchester group by the Tuileries.  Very similar to the Ritz Hemingway Bar

Patrick Roger - best/most famous chocolates in paris on St Germain des Pres

Poilane - best/most famous bakery in Paris close to St Germain des Pres.  This is Ina Garten's favorite bakery in Paris as well

Cafe de Flore - right by les deux magots and very similar.  Sit outside and have a glass of champagne and an omelette.  C'est magnifique

No comments:

Post a Comment